Re: Release planning

Em Sex, 2005-10-14 às 17:33 +0200, Sven Luther escreveu:
> Notice though that steve mentioned end of 2005 as the last date for
> world-breaking changes, like the c++ abi change. I am not sure if gnome falls
> into this category, but i guess it has similar wide ranging effects, so better
> consult with the release team on that :)

I doubt it; that'd be an implicit one-year freeze, in practice, because
so many important subsystems are as world-breaking as gnome is and that
would mean a development stall;

But, still, it's best not to assume stuff; it would be good if we could
come up with a 'what we intend to do' email and let the release team,
mainly, and the rest of the developers know about what's intended for
GNOME.

The consensus up to now (from my talk in IRC with seb128 and from lool's
email) seems to be "let's focus on having gnome2.12 in unstable and then
move on". Since we have almost 5 months to stabilize 2.12 now that 2.10
is in testing, before 2.14 comes out.

I believe we can fairly well have in our minds for now that, if the
proposed release schedule is actualy implemented, we'll have gnome2.14
on etch, and that work on gnome2.12 is being done because we think its
important to do some transitions and have 2.12 for our users instead of
doing transitions and still having to deal with the larger amount of
work an unstable GNOME brings.

Said all of that, I'd like to emphasize the importance of letting people
know what's been going on down here and what we're thinking about GNOME
for etch.

See ya,

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>