Re: GNOME 2.12

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:00:09AM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El sáb, 01-10-2005 a las 17:10 -0400, Alejandro Bonilla escribió:
> > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:51:10 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On Sat, Oct 01, 2005, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> > >
> > >  Could you please comment on the schedule(s) I posted?
> > >
> > >    Cheers,
> >
> > I´m no debian developer, but I think that is a waste of time of fixing a
> > version that will not be used in 2 months. etch willprobably go with
> > something like gnome 2.14 and Sid should not have something when there is
> > already a new version of it. If you want to move gnome 2.1* to etch, then
> > move 2.12 and not 2.10. Is a waste of time. I would just jump right to 2.12
> > forget 2.10 bugs and then get 2.12 nicely and then move it down to
> > etch/testting.
>
>  Yes, I agree with Alejandro. GNOME has a fixed release schedule and we
> don't. And though we can think that we are going to release in 18 months
> from Sarge release (which would be great), spending a lot of time in
> 2.10 is a waste of time, as for sure Etch is going to be released with
> at least 2.12. If we were just 2 months far from release, making this
> would be acceptable, but not just now.
>
>  With this, I am not saying that GNOME 2.10 should be abandoned, but
> that 2.12 should start to be packaged and uploaded. Or it will happen
> that closer to our release, GNOME 2.14 is going to be released and we
> will want to include it in Etch, forcing people to jump from 2.10 to
> 2.14, which usually is more difficult and errors prone.

BTW, i hear t-p-u is finally unfucked (but then maybe i am misinformed), so
would this not be the time to upload 2.6.12 to unstable, work on the etch
2.6.10 version through t-p-u, and so finally find out if t-p-u is a useful
thing or just some vaporware that nobody is ever going to use ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther