Re: gnome and smb/cifs

Iain Mac Donald <iain@cranntara.net> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:54 +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>
>> eog works for me.
>
> I am using GNOME 2.8 (Sarge - as I want to use that for my customers)
> and EOG seems to add the smb:// as a suffix to the users home directory.
> Maybe you are using 2.10?

Yes I am, but IIRC, it did work in 2.8, too. How did you try? Clicking
an Image in Nautilus or some other way?

> Or have I mis-configured something?

I never configured /anything/ related to gnome-vfs

>> The problem with AbiWord and many others is that they
>> aren't hooked up to GNOME-VFS yet.
>
> apt-cache rdepends libgnomevfs2-0 | grep abiword
>
> Suggests otherwise, but maybe it doesn't really use it as you say.

The same is, unfortunately, true for file-roller (and many others, I guess).

> The
> problem is made worse because each application fails differently.
>
> I was hoping someone on the list would have had a working solution for
> GNOME 2.8/Sarge/Kernel 2.6/SMB/CIFS because I haven't found it yet

fuse/lufs has already been suggested. But I would argue that they are
not a full replacement because even a so-called userspace file systems
in Linux is never a userspace matter for 100%. Even with LUFS/FUSE
shfs and the like, mounting file systems remains a privileged
root-only action. The typical way of overcoming this is setting the
SUID bit on the respective mount program, e.g. shfsmount. But this is
an obvious security issue. This is why GNOME-VFS (or, on a much more
fundamental level, the Hurd's translators) are so much better: No
mounting, therefore no privileges required, no messing around with
SUID bits.

[...]

Thanks,

Johannes