Re: gnome and smb/cifs

Iain Mac Donald wrote:

Hmmm I am heading that way soon. I have just posted on gnome-vfs to try
and understand what their objectives are. Just hope I am not entering a
minefield with a blindfold on.

If you're looking for a solution that works in all apps, regardless of how they're coded, you may want to take a look at lufs or fuse. These projects both implement user-space filesystems. The user (properly permissioned) can mount whatever they like using modules in their own home directory. One or more of them even has a gnome-vfs backend module iirc. Once they're mounted, they look and behave like completely ordinary filesystems. I can't really vouch for their stability, just because I haven't spent that much time with them, but they might be worth a look.