Strange behavior at session start

Hi,

for the last couple of days I get some very strange behavior when I try to log in to Gnome after starting up the computer or restarting X.

X seems to start alright. However, when I log in on my usual account (pc), it just shows the blank screen. I can move the mouse, but nothing else happens -- neither my desktop starts nor any apps open from a previous session. There is some disk activity for a while, but it may well be from background services, not sure about that.

I kill X via ctrl-alt-backspace and log in via gdm as another user. Everything works ok. Then, I start another session via Applications-> System Tools -> New login. It brings up gdm, I log in as pc again and, voilà -- everything runs as expected!

Do you have any idea what could be wrong there?

Best regards,

Andreas