Re: gnome for debian-edu

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:

> I set up Norwegian (I've tried with danish as well), and in the
> console and in gdm everything seems to be set up correctly. but when
> gnome starts, I get US keyboard.

Here XFree86.log reported something about not being able to load the XKB
map. Pasting that exact line in Google gave me the following explanation:

Bugged keyboard alias file in xlibs-data (usually after an xlibs upgrade).

How I solved it:

dpkg -P --force-depends xbase-clients xlibs xlibs-data
rm -r /etc/X11/xkb
apt-get install xbase-clients xlibs xlibs-data

Now everything works as before and, actually, even better:  Gswitchit
(a.k.a. GNOME Keyboard Preferences capplet) finally works.

--
Martin-Éric Racine
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/