gnome for debian-edu

Debian-edu/Skolelinux is crafted around a good network setup, a almost
complete set of tools, and easy to install installation cd.

But much of the tools are based upon kde, which has a strong base here
in Norway, and also in Germany. IF we think back on the state of
gnome/KDE in woody, I think that the selected Desktop was the correct
to select. But since then GNome has come a long way. And personally I
like GNome better than KDE.
But before trying to build the first gnome-based debian-edu-cd I have
one big problem:
 bug #296434 - http://bugs.debian.org/296434
I set up Norwegian (I've tried with danish as well), and in the
console and in gdm everything seems to be set up correctly. but when
gnome starts, I get US keyboard. This seems to have been a known bug in
Fedora Core around the time they switched from XFree86 packages to
X.org packages, but Debian has not yet switched. I've tried with
Ubuntu, and there things works. So I have two questions for you:
- Does this problem applies in German, French and other languages as
  well ?
- SHould this bug be other priority than normal - I mean this bug is
  grave, as it prevents us from having a preconfigured environment. I
  would not like to tell hundreds of users to use
  "gnome-keyboard-properties" to set up their keyboard even if X and
  keyboard has been set up correctly. I think It should be
   grave - makes the package in question unusable or mostly so (maybe
           not)
  or
  important - a bug which has a major effect on the usability of a
              package, without rendering it completely unusable to
              everyone. (Applies to everyone that dont us US-keyboard)

 I Think it's an important bug.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no