Re: Silly question: why no gnome in experimental

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:19:21AM -0500, David Moreno Garza wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 23:57 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:

>> >What happens if you issue:
>> >apt-get -t experimental install gnome-desktop-environment?
>> >Or am I missing your point? :)
>>
>> Same thing happens.
>>
>> The point is that I already have the packages gnome and
>> gnome-desktop-environment from Sid installed and simply installing it
>> again (with the -t experimental argument) won't pull in anything--all
>> dependencies are already satisfied. I don't want do do an upgrade, since
>> that would pull in much more than I want. AFAICS a gnome (or
>> gnome-desktop-environment) package in experimental would pull in all
>> Gnome2.8 related packages.
>>
>> To make things worse, it seems that using aptitude to install all
>> upgradable packages in the section gnome will break a few dependencies
>> and cause Sid::gnome to be removed... a gnome package in experimental
>> would not do that.
>>
>> I think it'd also be useful if there were a command that would try to do
>> an upgrade of a specified package and all its dependencies. Given the
>> vastness of Debian I wouldn't be too surprised if such a command
>> existed, but I don't know of it, yet.
>
>Try installing this way:
>
># apt-get install gnome/experimental

Hmm. Didn't quite work:

# apt-get install gnome/experimental
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Release 'experimental' for 'gnome' was not found

There still isn't a gnome package in experimental!

>Or even better, try to set APT to prefer experimental:

That I don't want, all I want is to pull in everything related to
gnome2.8 from experimental, not upgrade my entire system.

And first removing the gnome package and immediately re-installing it,
this time with -t experimental didn't work either...

Looks like I'll have to wait until either there's a gnome package in
experimental (all instructions relating to getting gnome2.8 on a Debian
system refers to such a package so it's a little strange it doesn't
exist) or until Gnome2.8 makes it into Sid.