Gnome2.8, OpenOffice .desktop files, and Calc problem

The openoffice.org .desktop files in /usr/share/applications do not
contain MimeType lines. As such, these apps are not registered to handle
their filetypes in gnome 2.8

I have edited the .desktop files, adding what I thought were the
appropriate MimeType entries, then ran
update-desktop-database

Now, everything works as expected (i.e. the correct app is registered to
handle the appropriate file type), except for Calc. There appears to be
no app registered to handle these filetypes, even though my
ooo645calc.desktop does have (in my opinion) the correct MimeType line.

The mime types I have specified for calc are:
application/vnd.sun.xml.calc
application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.template
application/vnd.stardivision.calc
application/vnd.stardivision.chart
application/msexcel
application/vnd.ms-excel

gnomevfs-info on .sxc and .xls files give me
application/vnd.sun.xml.calc and
application/vnd.ms-excel
respectively.

Both these are included in Calc's MimeType line, but Calc seems not to
be registered to handle these filetypes.

Any idea why this does not work for Calc (but does for the other OO.org
apps)?

A bug has been logged with openoffice.org re the missing MimeType lines
(see bug #272638).

Regards
--
Thomas Fogwill <tfogwill@csir.co.za>