Re: ubuntu modifications

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 09:54:12AM -0700, Ryan Lovett wrote:
>> Is there any chance that Ubuntu Linux's GNOME enhancements will make their
>> way into Debian? I'm most interested in the panel menu modifications where
>> they've added a helpful main 'Computer' menu. I realize that some stuff
>> would have to wait for the GNOME 2.8 migration.
>
> As I understand it, the Ubuntu crowd will propose their modifications to
> be applied upstream during the GNOME-2.9 cycle. So it would eventually
> flow back into Debian.
>
> In any case, I believe it is too late for Sarge now, and the next stable
> release is so far away that nobody can predict how the Debian desktop
> will look like.

Also, the Ubuntu changes may be nice, but they look _arse_ on any
system that is not using an English locale since the Gnome translation
teams have not had a chance to translate them. They should have worked
with upstream directly.

But I guess the timing was just wrong - otherwise it is nice
distribution, actually one you can hand your computer-illiterate
friends (as long you are confident that their hardware will work :-).
I'm hoping some of their ideas will flow back to Debian.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/