Re: normal user can shut down the system

Am Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:30:20 +0200 schrieb Kenny Hitt:

> Hi.  I'm running the Gnome 2.6 on Sarge.  I just noticed a normal user
> can choose to shutdown or reboot the system on logout.  How can I
> disable such a stupid feature?  I'm sure this was discussed, but I can't
> find the info.  Would someone please point me to a doc about this stupid
> option

For the average desktop user this feature is anything but stupid.

> and how to disable it?  Since the option is on the Gnome log out
> dialog and I can't find anything about it in /etc/gdm.conf, it must be a
> part of Gnome.

The problem is that unlike KDM, gdm does not offer control over who is
allowed to shutdown/reboot. Gnome-session does not execute shutdown
by itself, it passes the request on to gdm.

So you might want to file a wishlist bug
against gdm.

Thanks,

Johannes

--