Unable to open terminal

As of a few days ago I cannot open terminals any longer. My Gnome Terminal gives me "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal." At first I assumed this was a small glitch in 'unstable', but after 3 days I haven't seen any fixes or any other complaints.

I have a feeling my troubles are deeper rooted than Gnome itself. After a little digging I've found several things cannot work correctly, mostly related to shells.

xterm just refuses to open.
I can't ssh to the machine, I get an error about no available vty.
I can't run "synaptic" becuase it fails to fork a new process after I enter the password.

The only shell I do have is the 6 default shells I get with ctrl-alt-#. It sounds like there's something wrong at the system level, but I am a bit confused by how Linux handles these terminals.

Any tips for me?