Re: Problems with "preferred applications" (browser setting)

Ryan Lovett <ryan@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> [2004-08-11 10:30:21]:

I'm having a very similar problem which probably stems from the same source.
My "preferred browser" is "epiphany -n" since that opens the URL in a new tab
in an existing window.
Unfortunately gnome-open doesn't any longer use
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command but seems to check the file
type of the remote file via PROPFIND or GET and then uses the program
registered for text/html. This is "Web Browser" which I can only guess
is "epiphany", since I don't grok the MIME system.

> This happened to me too and I believe I fixed it by going to
> gnome-file-type-properties and choosing Documents -> World Wide Web -> HTML
> page -> Default action -> Galeon. You can choose Custom and enter firefox.

When I manually enter "epiphany -n" here, gnome-open aborts with "Error
showing url: The default action does not support this protocol."
I suppose you have to somehow register that the application is able to
open URLs.

I suspect it's the new upstream version of libgnome but the MIME system
is way to scary for me to be sure.

Best regards,
  Silvestre
--