how do I change key bindings for text widgets in gtk2?

There seems to be a new set of key bindings for any text input
in gtk2. One example is ctrl-a that previously moved the cursor
to the beginning of the text, now it selects the text instead.

Since I'm not running Gnome (afterstep) I thought maybe there
is a tool in Gnome that does this for a Gnome user.
Or is it up to the application to set the default bindings?

Somehow I suspect there is a central configuration of this but I've
not found it yet.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?