Re: use of gnomemeeting and sound

Kilian Krause wrote:
Hi Scetbon,

I use Knoppix 3.4 with kernel 2.6.7 (patch pwcx) and the last version of
gnomemeeting.

well, "LAST" version is CVS for some folks. So providing exact version
numbers of the package would be nice
0.98.5
(alongside with its source -
www.gnomemeeting.org or Debian/KNOPPIX). Very easy to do with the
reportbug tool, which will make sure all neccessary figures are included
in the bugreport.

All experiences where  with a netmeeting host (WinXP).

First, I tried with the webcam on my host (knoppix) but I've got problem with the sound.
I tried to use the micro integrated in my webcam:
I used the audio module for usb. It registered 14,16 as dsp device and 14,19 as mixer device. So I made /dev/dsp1 (14,16) and /dev/mixer1 (14,19) as devices.
But, no way to use the microphone.

So you installed the libpt-plugins-oss package to access the OSS driver
devices? If you only have the (default) libpt-plugins-alsa, you need to
use snd-usb-audio - the according ALSA driver. ;)

I tried in WinXp -> no problem :!-# with the vendor software.

After, I tried the webcam on the remote(winXP) and to use the microphone
integrated in my desktop (NEC Versa P440) to hear the sound received from it. So I configured gnomemeeting to use the same devices as input output (/dev/dsp &/dev/mixer) I hear the sound from the remote webcam and see the video (/dev/video0) but I hear the sound I produce on my host and not on the remote. So, the audio is not transmited on the network.

Your audio setup is somewhat "broken" then. Try playing around with
mixers and the playback volume of "Mic". Anything but muting the mic
will playback locally the recordings. Best bet is to use the Setup Druid
from GnomeMeeting 1.0.2 for testing. If that does play *WITH 5s DELAY*,
things are ok and should work. If they still don't it's a
network/firewall problem. Yet that would "look" different than what you
describe.

Finally i might point out that this is a typical user-setup problem (as
opposed to packaging or system-problem) with GnomeMeeting and you might
be better off trying the upstream mailinglist and its archive.