Issues we should work on!

Hi!

I've been talking to people on the #gnome-debian channel about
some of this issues, and also had read or started some threads
about the topics. There are 4 main things I see we should work
on while we're working on this transition:

1. Oskuro already pointed out that we should be using libgnutls10
where possible for gnome2.6 debs

2. We have some package naming inconsistencies on libraries like
libgnome which we should be fixing following the libpkg-guide
procedure, as suggested by Junichi.

3. We should start thinking about using the gnome2.6 transition
to move the schema files to where they belong: /usr/share.

4. debifying gnome - we need to work on making gnome look
more like a 'debian desktop' - this includes a default splash,
a default background and, maybe, a default theme. It also
includes fixing nautilus to actually add the Debian-related .desktop
files which are included in nautilus:

[kov]@[beterraba] $ dpkg -L nautilus-data | grep -i debian
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-data/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/nautilus/initial-desktop/debian-homepage.desktop
/usr/share/nautilus/initial-desktop/debian-reference.desktop
/usr/share/nautilus/initial-desktop/debian-security.desktop

Now, this fourth item is something I'd like to have fixed for
gnome2.4, even. I would like to put the default stuff directly
into gnome-session, where it belongs (in splash's case)
and have desktop-base only provide alternatives. What do
people, especially the new gnome-session's maintainer
think?

Thanks,

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>