Re: Gnome-print usage

"Rob Taylor" <robtaylor@fastmail.fm> writes:

> 3) Panel application for printer status and queue management

There is a "Printing Notification Icon" in Gnome2.4 (gnome-cups-icon in
gnome-cups-manager package) that should do this.

> My primary concern is that all this should work well in Debian, so I'd
> rather produce diffs at debian level then propagate them upwards. My main
> question, is should i do this work against 2.4, backporting changes when
> necessary, or Is there an aim to have working 2.6 packages soon?

Sarge will probably keep Gnome2.4 but were are going to package Gnome2.6
in experimental first and unstable after that.

> If the feeling is that it would be best to do these changes against 2.6,
> I offer my services in helping package 2.6 (I have quite a bit of
> experience packaging on debian, as headed up a custom embedded distro
> based on debian in my last job). Is anyone working activly on this right
> now?

We should start to package Gnome2.6 soon, if you want to help you're
welcome.

Do you want to join the Gnome Team to help on this part of packages
(basically team members have a commit right on the alioth SVN used for
the team packages) ?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher