Re: gtk 2.4 and gnome 2.6

Hi

* Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org) wrote:
> wedge a bunch of unsynchronised crap into unstable, instead of marshalling
> the entire stack in experimental and dropping it down all at once? Come on,

Wouldn't the least painful solution all-round be to keep the gnome 2.6
packages in experimental while the packages are just that, but make it
easy to install by keeping an up-to-date task package that
removes/upgrades/installs the necessary bits for the people who want the
bleeding edge gnome to follow?
That way the entire 2.6 release can drop into unstable when the
packaging is no longer experimental, but those of us who want to use it
from as soon as possible can do so with one apt source and a
dist-upgrade. I've not really played with experimental a huge amount,
but if that means all kinds of other packages are going to get
experimental, why not put the 2.6 stuff in a seperate apt source
somewhere as a ringfenced experimental, as it were?

If it has to be done in unstable, how about a task that depends on the
final versions of 2.4 in unstable so people can pin to that if they
don't want gnome going bozo on them just yet? ;)

$0.02

Cheers,
--
Chris "Ng" Jones