Sarge troubles...

Greetings,

I took the sarge plunge a couple of weeks ago for my laptop, and am
having a few problems, which will keep me from upgrading my group until
they're resolved (but I guess that's what testing is for :-).

The main thing is that nothing seems to be saved when I log out.  I can
delete panels, add applets, etc., and when I log out and back in,
everything is back to the defaults.  Likewise with the terminal: I
change all kinds of preferences, but when I log out and back in, it's
back to the default settings.  This might have something to do with a
lockup during my first login after the sarge upgrade, which I got out of
with ctrl-alt-backspace.  Could that have interrupted the .gnome upgrade
process?  I tried to remove the .gnome2 dir and others which seemed
associated and login again.  For a while, logout-login saved
preferences, but not any more.  When I set up a new user, saving
preferences works just fine.  Is there some directory I can blow away to
restart the process, or to have a default configuration?

Also, even though Applications | Desktop Preferences | Advanced |
Preferred Applications lists emacs as my preferred text editor, when I
launch Applications | Accessories | Text Editor, gedit starts, and I
don't see emacs anywhere in the menu (well, except the Debian part, but
that doesn't count).  What does the "Text Editor" application preference
mean, if not "that's the app I want to start when I choose Text Editor"?

And I don't see a preference anywhere to choose the window manager.
Though an Enlightenment fan, I'd like to give metacity a chance.  When I
started up, it "defaulted" to no window manager, and took a few logouts
and logins to realize it would only save my running window manager if I
checked the save session box at logout.  Kinda funny -- both that it
doesn't record the window manager, and that it defaulted to nothing.
Again, with a new user, it defaults to metacity just fine, but I still
don't see how to edit it.

Finally, does Debian's gnome-pilot have a working memo-file conduit?  I
depend heavily on it, but understand upstream is completely broken (and
has been for months), though there's a patch.  Couldn't tell from the
changelog if it's working, or just not crashing.

So it'll be some time before I upgrade my group to sarge/gnome2.  In the
meantime, I'm happy to help get it into better shape, and thanks all for
great packages -- particularly Christian for rapidly fixing my bugs!

Zeen,
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg