Re: galeon won't start

On 23 Jan 2003, Joe Drew wrote:

> From: Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net>
> Subject: Re: galeon won't start
>
> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 13:58, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 09:57, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> >
> > > That's not really true. Galeon is somewhat lighter than
> > > Mozilla, because it doesn't use the XUL-based GUI, and gtk is a very
> > > common lib which could have been already loaded by some other progs.
> > > My laptop likes Galeon much more than it likes Mozilla.
> >
> > Not to mention mozilla tries to do email, IRC, a terminal, etc etc...
>
> This is the issue, of course, and not XUL; Galeon uses XUL to display
> widgets in the content window, because that's what gecko uses, and
> Mozilla uses GTK to draw XUL on most Unixy platforms. (This message

This is not true. XUL uses G_D_K for drawing, and G_T_K only if you
have the mozilla theme set to the GTK theme. (which has only been pos-
sible in debian for not to long).
The GTK dependency you're seeing comes from gecko, which uses GTK to
draw _some_ widgets, like scrollbars in the gecko window.

> neglects the overhead of XUL drawing, of course.)
>
> pisces:~$ ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin | grep g[dt].*
>         libgtk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0 (0x40250000)
>         libgdk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0 (0x40375000)

Kind regards,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny