Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Hi,

Am Mi, den 03.12.2003 schrieb Sebastien Bacher um 11:15:
> "AKL. Mantas Kriauciunas" <mantas@akl.lt> writes:
> > Maybe debian developers should improve debian package making standards
> > (Debian policy) and recommend to add Gnome/Kde menu entry for all packages,
> > which have Debian menu entry ? Then maintainers will include .desktop
> > files, at least after bugreports :)
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm using Gnome and I'd like to keep a
> simple applications' menu, not having hundred entries like in my
> debian's menu. Having too many entries in a menu is an usability problem
> imho (it's very annoying to search an item in the middle of long
> menus). If you are using non KDE/Gnome apps you should perhaps add some
> launchers in the desktop for them ?

I agree with you, but I see the other point too, that two menus are not
a good solution. Maybe we could have a feature in gnome where
often-and-or-recently-used entries appear on the top or one level higher
or in a separate top-level-menu. Because the debian menu _is_ too large
for every day work. (net, tools and some games already fill my whole
screen and make me scroll).

nomeata
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner