Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

"AKL. Mantas Kriauciunas" <mantas@akl.lt> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Debian has a usability problem - it's hard to start lots of programs,
> installed from debian packages, because simple users just can't find
> them in menu.
> Standart debian menu entry isn't good solution for user-friendly
> desktops, like Gnome and KDE, because debian menu isn't intuitive (for
> example there are no icons for categories) and there are no possibility
> to translate debian menu entry.
>
> Solution is to add freedesktop.org standartized menu entry for programs,
> which could be started from menu (for example there is no meaning to
> start apt-get tool from menu). Then users of modern desktops will be
> happy, because they can easily find how to start installed applications
> - menu entries will be localized and will be in right place.
>
> Why I'm writing this letter instead simply filling bugs on packages?

> Maybe debian developers should improve debian package making standards
> (Debian policy) and recommend to add Gnome/Kde menu entry for all packages,
> which have Debian menu entry ? Then maintainers will include .desktop
> files, at least after bugreports :)

I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm using Gnome and I'd like to keep a
simple applications' menu, not having hundred entries like in my
debian's menu. Having too many entries in a menu is an usability problem
imho (it's very annoying to search an item in the middle of long
menus). If you are using non KDE/Gnome apps you should perhaps add some
launchers in the desktop for them ?

I've added the gnome/kde in the Cc: field because I think it's rather a
desktop's problem than a mentors/devel problem.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher