Re: GDM and locales

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 08:05:15AM +0000, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> variable, not the whole file). And it would really be a shame not to
> have a localized gdm when it is so easy to achieve.
> > I'll be putting all of the default modules back in the next upload.
> Okay, great.

As one who submitted several times trivial patches to enable gdm in
default locale language, I concurr. Right now (for woody and sarge),
the current way of setting the default locale for all programs is
sourcing /etc/environment. Why would you like one more file ?
LANG needs to be set anyway. More and more, Linux users are not
English-native speakers.

So any solution if fine with me, but as of now, default locale is set
through debconf at install time. So there are two places where gdm can
fetch the information: debconf or /etc/environment. /etc/environment is
a more sensible place, since all HOWTOs and FAQs tell users it is the
place to modify default language.
--
JCD