Re: GDM and locales

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:55:59 +0200
Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 04:35:04PM -0700, Ryan Murray wrote:
> > I'll be uploading the pam change, but I will not be adding things
> > that source/etc/environment
>
> Do you think we can come up with some temporary solution while Debian
> implements the (much needed) tidying you propose? Many users ask me
> why GDM isn't translated to Catalan, and they can't understand why
> it's not the default language if they selected ca_ES on install when I
> tell them it really is.

Good point, GDM can't be left untranslated in Debian...

Well if you know a bit about the bug you can hack a simple wrapper that
sources /etc/environment and next start GDM, but well, you have to redo
it each time you install a new release... quite boring for the user.
And as said : someone that doesn't know anything about this bug can't
understand why GDM's not localized...

Julien