Re: XD2 for debian woody

Le lun 04/08/2003 à 03:40, Jeff Waugh a écrit :
> <quote who="J?r?me Warnier">
>
> > I know exactly what you mean when you say it's not that easy. I think we
> > should work together, because we are doing similar things. How could we do
> > that? Should we create a mailing-list or what? I can provide that if
> > needed (on http://glasnost.beeznest.org or on http://www.bxlug.be).
> > James, what do you think, do you jump too?
>
> I agree with this - surely it would be more sensible to have a single effort
> working on GNOME 2.2 backports (plus XD2 patches if interesting). It could
> be a continuing project to keep the Debian stable desktop alive and kicking,
> even beyond 2.2 (2.4 is coming in September, 2.6 another six months after
> that, etc).
It already exists, but could be extended to add patches from Ximian to
this wonderful desktop, on the Woody backport but also on Sarge and Sid.

> Running a completely separate project to create new packages based on
> Ximian's work (rather than the existing Debian work) doesn't sound sensible
> at all.
>
> I'm sure that if a coordinated project to keep GNOME updated for Debian
> stable existed, many more people would use stable, and many more people
> would use GNOME! :-) [ I'm also fairly sure that a few companies and/or
> goverment agencies could back its development... ]
I know of at least one company (+-50 people) using GNOME 1.4 and Woody
as desktop for the moment.
Now, they are impatient to get GNOME 2.2. I'm going to upgrade them
before September, I think.
I'm planning to keep working on Woody, and change their desktop only.
The main reason of the migration will be the speedup when using the new
Nautilus compared to the old one.

--
Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>