Re: help with gconftool and schema installations.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:48:55PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:13:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Slow? It's quite quick, actually. What takes more time is
> > > scrollkeeper-update. You can do it as you want, if you have checked that
> > > gconftool likes more than one input file, go ahead...
> >
> > Yep, the scrollkeeper stuff is the one slowing the install done, and it
> > is not really needed to run it twice, is it ?
>
>  Scroll-keeper is only needed once.

Is scrollkeeper called by gconftool directly, or called separatedly by
some other magic ? I didn't find a way to add two schemas simultaneously
in the meager gconftool documentation, but maybe concatenating the files
will do ?

> > > I don't think so. I we need to, please file a bug against gtetrinet :)
> >
> > Is it or is it not a problem if the schema stays there even after the
> > removal of the schema file ? Well, the schema file is a conffile, so it
> > can stay, but it should at least be removed on purges, and then gconfd
> > will not know it has been removed, will it ?
> >
> > Of course, i suppose more gconftool familiar people will have to respond
> > here, since gconftool's documentation is sketchy (no manpage for
> > example).
>
>   AFAIK there is no way for schemas to be removed from the gconf
>   database. ALso, removing them will lead to problems with users that
>   have options listed in those schemas in their own config files.

And when the package removes the files which gconftool adds to the gconf
database, does this cause problem ? Or is it that the schemas are never
used anymore after they are added ?

In any case, a dpkg --purge will remove those schemas, as it should, but
gconf will not know about it, and as you said, the corresponding options
will not be removed from users files.

>   I think that this should be done, but for that a lot of hacking in
>   gconfd should be done (so it removes the users prefs when the schema
>   is deregistered)

Lot of work then, should a bug report against gconf be filled in the
gnome bugzilla or something such ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther