Re: help with gconftool and schema installations.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:13:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 02:02:08PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:34:20AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > 1) I have two schemas, and calling gconftool is rather slow, so it would
> > > make better sense to call it one time only with both schemas. I suppose
> > > this is possible, will be reading doc and such.
> >
> > Slow? It's quite quick, actually. What takes more time is
> > scrollkeeper-update. You can do it as you want, if you have checked that
> > gconftool likes more than one input file, go ahead...
>
> Yep, the scrollkeeper stuff is the one slowing the install done, and it
> is not really needed to run it twice, is it ?

 Scroll-keeper is only needed once.

> > > 2) If we install the schemas in the postinst, should we also uninstall
> > > them in the postrm or something such ?
> >
> > I don't think so. I we need to, please file a bug against gtetrinet :)
>
> Is it or is it not a problem if the schema stays there even after the
> removal of the schema file ? Well, the schema file is a conffile, so it
> can stay, but it should at least be removed on purges, and then gconfd
> will not know it has been removed, will it ?
>
> Of course, i suppose more gconftool familiar people will have to respond
> here, since gconftool's documentation is sketchy (no manpage for
> example).

  AFAIK there is no way for schemas to be removed from the gconf
  database. ALso, removing them will lead to problems with users that
  have options listed in those schemas in their own config files.

  I think that this should be done, but for that a lot of hacking in
  gconfd should be done (so it removes the users prefs when the schema
  is deregistered)

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org