Re: libgtop2 debian package (i am not the official maintainer).

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:46:47PM -0400, Kevin Vandersloot wrote:
> Hi Sven. I'm cc's Andrew Sobala who actually produced the latest
> release. I believe that binary compatibility was not broken between the
> two releases, so the soname change is probably not warrented.
>
> I'm not sure about 2) :(
>
> To clarify Bastien's comments: I'm kinda the maintainer right now since
> I wrote GNOME System Monitor and noone remains to maintain libgtop.
> Unfortunately I know very little about the libgtop code and am a little
> afraid to mess with it ;)
>
> I think everyone agrees that a replacement would be nice (especially
> since libgtop doesn't build on Solaris ATM). Otherwise we need someone
> to step in and really maintain the code. I don't really have to time to
> do it. However, right now there is no replacement available so there is
> no plan to move to a different library.

Ok, in the meantime, i have backported the security patch to the
previous version, and uploaded a new package with a fake version number
(2.0.2.is.2.0.1-1). It solved the urgency, until the maintainer of the
libgtop2 package takes over again, or someone else takes the package
over.

I don't know enough about libgtop2 and sonames to give an advice, but if
you have an idea who and why the soname did get changed, maybe you could
release a new version with this fixed ?

The probleme in 2) seem to be linked to a bug (other say a feature) of
libtool. I don't really know much about libtool, as my main area of
interrest lies elsewhere (i package ocaml stuff, and do X and kernel
work), so i am not the best person to give advice on this, but libgtop2
was broken in debian since more than a week, the maintainer was too
busy, and nobody else bothered, so i stepped in and fixed it in a quick
emergency way.

Friendly,

Sven Luther