evolution 1.4 vs gnome-pilot

  Is anyone else seeing the following problem. After upgrading
to evolution 1.4 in sid I was able to still sync to my Palm
pilot using the previous configuration done under Evolution 1.2.x.
However if I start with a clean account and attempt to set up
evolution 1.4 to sync to the Palm Pilot, I find that the evolution
conduits don't work. In Conduits panel of the Pilot Settings
control panel I see the EAddress, ECalendar and EToDo conduits
and can enable them. However if I select any of those three
conduits and click on Settings, I get an error message
"Unable to instantiate Eaddress conduit". If I ignore this
problem and just try to sync the Palm Pilot using those conduits
I get three error messages from gpilotd that loading conduit
<garbage character appears here> failed!. Any ideas?
                         Jack