Re: libgtop2 fixed packages available (solves applet mess).

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:16:44PM +0200, Amaya wrote:
> Sven Luther dijo:
> > I have put fixed libgtop2 packages in :
>
> Thanks!

No problem, it has already been broken since 8 days or more, that was
too much, and Noel is busy right now.

> >   seti-applet
>
> Touché here.

:)))

> > I cannot yet upload these packages to unstable,
>
> Do you mean libgtop or the applets?

I cannot upload libgtop2 in the current state, more explanation below,
so it makes no sense in uploading the applets. I will upload
hardware-monitor once libgtop2 is ready to enter unstable, but would
prefer if the respective maintainers of the other applets would do such
for the other applets.

> > since their build system is broken (they use the installed libraries,
> > not the ones currently building),
>
> I don't understand what you mean by broken. It is hard to build against
> something that's being built, isn't it? :-)

Well, The problem was that libgtop2 soname was changed upstream.
Additionaly the new soname libraries were no more copied in the package
by dh_movefile, which caused this problem. Ideally the package should be
renamed to libgtop2.0-1 or something such, as soname/shared libs
document say, and all dependent packages built against that.

Now, when first building the fixed libgtop2.0-1, libgtop-2.0.so.1.0.1 was
linked not against the libgtop_common-2.0.so.1 and
libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.1 which are also in the libgtop2 package, but
against the system installed libgtop_common-2.0.so.0 and
libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.0, which naturally were no more available when i
installed the fixed package, and thus it was not really fixed. A second
built resulted in the fixed packages i posted, but if i upload this to
unstable, i will get loads of FTBFS, which would not be nice. I could
build-conflict with libgtop2-dev (<< 2.0.2-1.1) or something such, but i
don't think this is a good solution.

I have quickly looked at the build system, but i am very unfamiliar with
libtool and the various .am/.in stuff, so i would like it a lot if
someone other took over from there and provided me with a build fix.

So, i have tried to contact upstrem, which as Bastien Nocera pointed out
is not the one actually listed in either copyright or AUTHORS, and hope
they will provide a fix to this.

Also, i want to know if the soname change was warranted, or is just an
error, no need in going to lengthy modification if the soname was just
changed by error or misunderstanding of soname issues, i hope to get
response from upstream regarding those.

Anyway, the build system of libgtop2 needs to be fixed, or as Bastien
suggested, libgtop2 needs to die, and a replacement need to be found,
wroten, whatever.

Friendly,

Sven Luther