Re: XD2

El día 05 jun 2003, Jeff Waugh escribía:
> <quote who="Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo">
>
> > Unstable won't have any 2.3.x Gnome package. So the backport will be as
> > much as stable as Ximian Desktop once upstream include patches from it,
> > which I guess will happen in a few time. Even, mantainers can add those
> > patches in the interim.
>
> Any acceptable Ximian changes will end up in 2.3.x releases, because 2.2 is
> feature frozen.
>
> Note, however, that some of the Ximian stuff will require large changes to
> various modules, and need a bunch of new modules. This will be most obvious
> with the printing work. Patches to libgnomeprint* plus new modules. None of
> that will even hit 2.3, given our schedule. It'll be up to the various Deb
> maintainers to decide whether they want to add big patches to their modules
> to integrate the new Ximian stuff into Debian's 2.2. (I guess I'd recommend
> holding off for a bit, but it shouldn't be too bad, but you will have to
> consider the possibility that some Ximian changes may never be accepted into
> upstream, so Debian will be following an odd path.)

  Well, for that big modules you can provide packages. If Ximian has
  done a good job, all those stuff must be additions not changes, so you
  should be able to replace the Gnome 2.2 package with the Ximian one
  without needing to replace the other apps too.

> It's a bit of a bummer that the Ximian release wasn't synced up with our 2.3
> schedule. We might be making exceptions for some Ximian changes (but not new
> modules!) if they're stable.

  Yes, they should have tryed to sync.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo