Re: XD2

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:35, Robert McQueen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:12:37PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 15:09, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> > > We know that most of Ximian Desktop are simply patches that will be
> > > integrated in gnome soon, but for the moment, woody is the stable
> > > release in Debian and there is no gnome2 (well, there are un-officials
> > > packages, but not really stables). So our plans are to make a "stable"
> > > release of gnome2 (ximian based) for woody.
> >
> > Good point -- I'm a little slow at the moment.
> >
> > There are GNOME 2 backports from Sid to woody -- it would be excellent
> > to have more people working on them and making them rock-solid.
> >
> > Ross
>
> I have a fair degree of faith that Ximian will release their desktop
> environment for woody, and that we should just wait for them to do it,
> rather than wasting our time. They have people who are paid to do this
> and will invest many many more hours and come out with a very nicely
> polished product. They released a statement when woody came out that
> they would not release XD1 on woody, but instead would concentrate on
> XD2 and release that on Debian when it came out. Nowhere does it say
> they have stopped supporting Debian. They're just targetting the RPM
> distros first because they are more commonplace.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

quote http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=3705
: By Nat Friedman (IP: ---.ximian.com) - Posted on 2003-06-03 18:52:21
: With regards to Debian - we're not building Debian packages. It takes
: too much work to keep up with unstable and stable is too old. I'm sure
: some of our patches will get into Debian eventually.

It appears Ximian are expecting Debian to do this ourselves, and we have
people volunteering to do so - so I don't see this as a waste of time.

my two cents,
  Shaun