Re: XD2

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 03:12:37PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 15:09, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> > We know that most of Ximian Desktop are simply patches that will be
> > integrated in gnome soon, but for the moment, woody is the stable
> > release in Debian and there is no gnome2 (well, there are un-officials
> > packages, but not really stables). So our plans are to make a "stable"
> > release of gnome2 (ximian based) for woody.
>
> Good point -- I'm a little slow at the moment.
>
> There are GNOME 2 backports from Sid to woody -- it would be excellent
> to have more people working on them and making them rock-solid.
>
> Ross

I have a fair degree of faith that Ximian will release their desktop
environment for woody, and that we should just wait for them to do it,
rather than wasting our time. They have people who are paid to do this
and will invest many many more hours and come out with a very nicely
polished product. They released a statement when woody came out that
they would not release XD1 on woody, but instead would concentrate on
XD2 and release that on Debian when it came out. Nowhere does it say
they have stopped supporting Debian. They're just targetting the RPM
distros first because they are more commonplace.

Regards,
Rob