Re: When gdm will use default locale setting ?

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:30:46PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > set -a
> > . /etc/environment
> > set +a
>
> What are the set -/+ a for ?

So that LANG is exported when gdm is executed. If not defined it is by
default not exported and thus not usable at all by gdm (the binary) (not
even seen).

LANG=mylocale

is the form normally obtained in /etc/environment.

For whatever reason I used in fact set -o allexport and set +o
allexport.

> Also, why do you not test for the existence of the /etc/environment file
> before sourcing it ?

I should. However, default installation of Debian installs a
/etc/environment, now. But I should, really.