Changing executable path in gnome icons.

Apologies in advance if this is not the best place to
post this question. I've looked for hours to try to
find out if this has arisen elsewhere, but I have proven
too incompetent. :(
My question is this: Is there any User Friendly way to
change the executable launched when clicking on an icon
on the desktop?
The only way I know how to do this is to create a new
icon launcher, say for gnome-terminal, and delete my old one, for
say rxvt. I find this somewhat irritating compared to KDE
and others where you can just change the path to the
executable by selecting the "properties" drop down
menu item for the icon.
I could just be clueless, but any input would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sam Bromley.