Re: root login

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:57, Michael Toomim wrote:
--snip--
> Of course users never *need* to log into gdm as root -- you don't *need*
> GDM in the first place -- but it makes things easier in some cases.  On
> the opposite end, nobody has given a convincing argument for why you
> *need* to keep root logins away from gdm!

I think that having root logins disabled by default and letting you
enable them just by running gdmconfig is perfectly reasonable. It makes
sure that an average user who isn't too much of administrator won't be
tempted to stay logged in as root all the time. And it involves an extra
11.4 seconds of work for someone who actually knows what they're doing.
(Ok, it might be 11.6 seconds if you have a slow computer... ;)

> I'm not proposing anything radical here -- I'm "proposing" the status quo.

Hmm. If you're proposing the status quo, then, judging by the numbers,
we should all be using Windows. But to stick to just Linux, Red Hat,
Mandrake, and especially Lindows are all made specifically to compete
with Windows. Debian has never had a policy of competing with windows.
Debian only wants to be the best Linux distro. In an effort to make
their systems more accessible to Windows dropouts, Red Hat, Mandrake,
and Lindows can allow root logins by default.

I just find it amusing that this entire thread is all about 1 little
word in a configuration file. "true" as opposed to "false". Really seems
rather insignificant in that context. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837