Re: root login

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 17:47, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> Compared to losing my Debian installation (I am quite good at installing
> systems from scratch... :), I have by far a bigger problem with somebody
> doing rm -Rf /home/torsten on my system.

Running as user and catched a virus:  /home/user gets removed. System ok

Running as root and catched a virus: /root gets removed (where,
remember, now all the user data is) _and_ System needs reinstall

I know what I would choose.

Which brings me to another point:  running as root makes it harder to
put the home dir on another partition or disk. Having a giant / is
better (more convenient) for home systems, but keeping at least /home
somewhere else is a good idea, maintenance wise