Re: root login

Am Die, 2003-04-29 um 23.37 schrieb Michael Toomim:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > It's nothing to do with priorites, and everything to do with best practice,
> > common sense, and educating people to do the right thing.
>
> But the definition of "best practice" and "the right thing" is a result
> of priorities.
>
> I feel like people tend to accept these "best practices" as dogma
> without actually thinking about them.  Your arguments haven't convinced
> me otherwise.

You should see this from an educational point of view, too. The average
user should not think that the "root" is a normal user account. Tasks
performed as root always require special attention and have to be done
carefully. So the access to root rights should not be a normal thing - I
don't say that it should not be made easy. We have nice tools for this,
eg. gtksu and gnomesu.

Secondly, I have seen many users doing the initial system stuff loged in
as "adminstrator" or "root". But they also bookmark a page or perform
other little tasks, eg. wirte a notice, on their first login. The most
users are lazy and do not want to search a bookmark or write a notice
again, so they login as root once again - and mostly they stay root.

Sebastian