Nautilus features, random [Was: root login]

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> > Heh. Nautilus handles that brilliantly -> too many files. ;-)
>
> You're not a devfs user then, obviously :)

Hrm, yeah, but I use devfsd... and yet, Nautilus now displays my entire /dev
directory without a hitch. Shows you how often I look at and how much I care
about /dev, hey? ;-)

Oh, another thing Alex is considering implementing is .hidden files, like
Mac OS X. For instance, if /.hidden contained...

  boot
  dev
  etc
  lost+found
  proc
  root
  vmlinuz
  vmlinuz.old

... none of these directories/files would appear in Nautilus (or, hopefully
the file selector) unless you turned on "Show hidden files". You could put a
.hidden file anywhere. I think this is a neat and simple method of hiding
all the crap, without making extensive changes under the hood (the kinds of
things the (Open|GNU)Step people want to do).

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

     "It's only ironic because it's true." - Reflexive irony, overheard