Re: root login

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> > It is far easier to 'fuck things up' in a GUI than it is on the command
> > line. Deleting /dev or /usr in a file manager, for instance, or even
> > just moving them.
>
> This of course raises the question of why people are able to do those
> kinds of things by default.  Windows XP makes you go to difficulty to even
> see these kinds of "system" files, much less delete them.  I think that's
> a rather good idea.

I agree, especially given that (more often than not), normal users can't do
anything useful to these files anyway. They're basically just noise (the
treeview suffers greatly from this).

There has been talk about rooting the treeview on ~, and having additional
roots such as System, Network, etc. This would definitely help (don't have
System shown by default, perhaps).

> (When was the last time anyone looked at /dev/ in Nautilus?)

Heh. Nautilus handles that brilliantly -> too many files. ;-)

- Jeff

  "When's the last time you heard of the police having to intervene at an
                   antiquarian book riot?" - Raph Levien