applet packaging -> no clue

Gnome friends,

I have a couple of questions (not sure if they belong here or at
d-mentors). I am (re)packaging seti-applet for Gnome2. I am not familiar
with the new Gnome enviroment.

1 - Build-Depends question:
    Right now I am doing this:
    Build-Depends: debhelper, libpanel-applet2-dev (>= 2.2.0), libgtop2-dev (>= 2.0.0), automake, autotools-dev, scrollkeeper

    But if I try to test this in a Sid-reallly-clean-minimal-chroot(tm):
    ~-root@sid>apt-get build-dep seti-applet
    Reading Package Lists...
    Building Dependency Tree...
    Package libpanel-applet-dev has no available version, but exists in the database.
    [... usual apt chat ...]
    contents of sources.list However the following packages replace it:
    libpanel-applet2-0
    [... lots of them ... ]
    0 packages upgraded, 41 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2  not upgraded.
    E: Package libpanel-applet-dev has no installation candidate
    E: Failed to process build dependencies

    Should I depend on libpanel-applet2-0 instead? :-?

2 - Applet placement question.
    gnome-panel never gets to see the applet.
    Where should it be? Upstream places it under /usr/bin (is he on
    crack? am I?). If I place it in /usr/lib/gnome-panel/ it still
    doesn't see it. I've noticed other applets work and don't live
    there. I keep looking for the reason but I can only think of black
    magic, red candles and arcane intonations...  ;-)

Package is available for inspection at
http.//www.amayita.com/debian/seti-applet/

Thanks for your time. Any hint appreciated.

--
 .''`.  To get something clean, one has to get something dirty.
: :' :  To get something dirty, one does not have to get anything clean.