Re: Debian GNOME Policy, Mark II

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> This is quite simple, actually.  The "fontilus" package will depend on
> "gnomevfs-method-fonts".  So from the fontilus user's point of view,
> there is really no change.  "aptitude install fontilus" or whatever will
> just pull in another package.  But someone who wants just the gnome-vfs
> method can install only the method package.

Ahr, but that is the very simplest case of all. ;-)

> The reason I want to break this up is because currently, fontilus just
> Recommends: nautilus.  Which is rather broken in a way; fontilus really
> should Depend on nautilus; it's just the GnomeVFS method that doesn't.
>
> I suppose I could just make fontilus Depend: nautilus now, but then people
> who want just the GnomeVFS method can't get it without pulling in a vast
> swath of GNOME and X.
>
> I dunno...if people don't like the idea, then I will just make fontilus
> Depend: nautilus and forget about it.

It's worth doing (I think it would be useful, anyway) if the maintainership
and user issues are easily handled, so perhaps it should be a MAY in the
guidelines. ;-)

- Jeff

--
  "Anyway - I need something more James Bond than Banana Man, if you know
                       what I mean..." - Tom Gilbert