old schemas still around

While playing with the gconf editor, I noticed there were old values not
used (e.g. file-views instead of file_views, accesibility instead of
accessibility (note the typos)). I just found where they come from: in
/etc/gconf/schemas/ there are leftovers from dpkg. examples:

desktop_gnome_peripherals_keyboard.schemas
desktop_gnome_peripherals_keyboard.schemas.dpkg-old
desktop_gnome_peripherals_mouse.schemas
desktop_gnome_peripherals_mouse.schemas.dpkg-old

plus, there were the corresponding directories:

/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/desktop/gnome/accesibility and
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/desktop/gnome/file-views/

I removed them by hand, but I'm not sure there aren't some more obsolete
ones lying around.
Is there a mean to get rid of the obsolete/wrong entries in gconf trees
? Or is it condemned to become more & more cluttered as time passes,
needed a periodic delete-and-regenerate-from-scratch (a bit like the
windows registry) ?