hadess gdm2 package and libgtk2.0-png3

I asked this question on debian-user a week or so ago but still no
responce. Since I've kind of been lurking on this list for about 3
months now I figured I may as well start by asking a question. :)

I've been happily using gdm2 from hadess.net for a while now on my
system. (Compiled from the sources there for i386.) Unfortunately, it
still depends on libgtk2.0-0 which is causing problems for me now that
everything else has been recompiled against libgtk2.0-png3.

How would I go about recompiling gdm2 from source against libgtk2.0-png3
and changing the dependency? I tried modifying debian/gdm2.substvars and
recompiling, but it had no effect. (And if it had worked I still don't
know if it would have worked with libgtk2.0-0 removed.)

As for actually compiling against libgtk2.0-png3, would I have to
manually edit the sources or is it possible to just pass a compiler flag
to the build process?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Alex