Re: libgtk2 png3 transition ... [2002-08-17]

>> Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu> writes:

 >     I wasn't following this until late yesterday..busy with the
 > testing the bits for debian ppc's transition to gcc 3.2.  I was
 > surprised to see that all of gnome1 was being rebuilt against
 > libpng3. Ryan Murray has a point with his concerns about breaking
 > compatibility with other distros on that.  However I guess it too
 > late now.

 Yes, of course Ryan is right.  I'm sorry he didn't raise his concerns
 before.

 >     On the other hand, for these remaining packages which
 > you listed that need to be rebuilt with libpng3... wouldn't it be far
 > better to not keep rebuilding gnome1 packages in sid against libpng3.

 The packages I listed depend all on libgtk2.0.  Because a package name
 was changed from libgtk2.0-0 to libgtk2.0-0png3 all these packages are
 uninstallable.  I haven't even looked at gnome1/gtk1 packages.

 > I would think the cleaner approach would be to replace any package in
 > sid with its newer gnome2 version.

 I'm of the same opinion.

 > That would avoid polluting sid with bastardized libpng3-built gnome1
 > packages.

 I think it's Christian who's calling for this recompile, but definitely
 not me (Christian, I'm sorry if I'm mistaking you with someone else).

 *I* have called for a distribution-wide recompile of libpng-using
 packages, but in a totally different context, namely to solve a current
 problem, namely that things break if we accidentally link against both
 libpng.so.2 and libpng.so.3.  What I've proposed hasn't even started
 happening yet (and won't start until we are sure it's ok to proceed
 with it).  At the moment, Junichi is discussing a versioning patch for
 libpng with the upstream maintainers.

 > Granted we will have some breakage perhaps due to the alpha nature of
 > some of those but it seems infinitely better than what we are doing
 > now with this mass rebuild of gnome1 against libpng3!

 I didn't even know that was going on.  Like I said, I'm just trying to
 push people arround to make packages in sid installable again.  If
 someone has a problem with *that* please speak up.  I'm following this
 list precisely because of this.  Alas, I don't do IRC for this kind of
 thing; that's not archived and very little people can get involved in
 the discussion.

--
Marcelo             | Lady Ramkin's bosom rose and fell like an empire.
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- (Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!)