Re: I am ready for testing Gnome2

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:40:26 +0200
Kai Weber <kai.weber@glorybox.de> wrote:

> Good news. Gnome 2.0.1 is released[1]. I hope I can test the whole
> stuff soon, when hitting unstable. I like testing packages, really! I
> can't stand it anymore, living with a Garnome builded Gnome2.

Arf, why not using experimental packages instead than garnome ? You just
have to had the experimental deb line in your apt sources.list and type
"apt-get -t experimental gnome2 gnome2-devel" whenever you want to
upgrade you G2D's packages.

> AFAIR, Gnome2 should come to Sid, when 2.0.1 is released?
Yes, it should be.
But you should wait a little bit, the linpng2 to libpng3 transition is
still unfinished.

Well, i did the transition on my box yesterday's evening, and i found a
mistake: should not libpng3-dev to be a replacement to libpng2-dev
instead than defining a conflict ? I had to remove libpng2-dev (with
apt-get remove) to be able to upgrade all my packages, if not, it would
have remove all my G2D dev packages.
Another thing, i had to recompile gthumb2 & gedit by myself (and gedit
still had a libpng2-dev build dependancy). That's all the problems i had
to solve.

> [1] with 733 total bugs marked fixed and 310 high priority bugs marked
>     fixed
Yes, i didn't notice gnome2 to have so many bugs ! It didn't crashed for
me since i installed it from exeperimental (2 months ago i think).

A last question : is there a way to install gtk-engines for gtk1.2 ang
gtk2.0 at the same time or absolutely not ?
Julien