Re: Info. on Gnome2 install on Debian.

Howdy,

* Dinesh Nadarajah <n_dinesh@yahoo.com> [020803 14:30]:
> Hi:
>
> I am new to Debian. I have sucessfully install Debian unstable and
> Gnome2 (from experimental). I am experiencing the following and I hope
> someone from this list would be anle to help or provide a bit more
> insight into this. My configuration is as follows:

New to Debian and using experimental! Brave man!

> Debian Unstable
> Gnome 2 experimental
> Savage video driver
> Xfree86 4.2.0 from www.Xfree86.org (upgraded from Xfree86 4.1 from
> unstable)
>
> This is what I am experiencing:
>
> 1. When I start gnome-session it starts with 'twm' as the window
> manager. I want to use Metacity. Unlike Gnome 1.4, Control-panel does
> not have the facility for this. How do I force gnome to use Metacity?

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

then select metacity

> 2. When I click on the desktop icons (Home, trash, etc) or start
> Nautilus, it quits and the desktop icons vanish. I cannot get the menus
> or the desktop icons again. I am not sure whats going on. I would like
> to send in any log files, but not sure which one. If someone knows
> which log file(s) would be necessary to debug this, I can send that in.

I think this is just a problem with twm, it should go away, one you've
done the update-alternatives.

> 3. When I set GDK_USE_XFT=1 (for anti-aliasing) the server quits on me
> and reports:
> /usr/bin/gnome-session: relocation-error:
> /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_First_Char
>
> I am using the standard locale - "POSIX"
>
> I shall post the log file for X as a followup to this email.

Sorry I don't know anything about this error, perhaps someone else can help.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.18-lavienx #1 Tue Jun 25 19:07:48 EST 2002