Info. on Gnome2 install on Debian.

Hi:

I am new to Debian. I have sucessfully install Debian unstable and
Gnome2 (from experimental). I am experiencing the following and I hope
someone from this list would be anle to help or provide a bit more
insight into this. My configuration is as follows:

Debian Unstable
Gnome 2 experimental
Savage video driver
Xfree86 4.2.0 from www.Xfree86.org (upgraded from Xfree86 4.1 from
unstable)

This is what I am experiencing:

1. When I start gnome-session it starts with 'twm' as the window
manager. I want to use Metacity. Unlike Gnome 1.4, Control-panel does
not have the facility for this. How do I force gnome to use Metacity?

2. When I click on the desktop icons (Home, trash, etc) or start
Nautilus, it quits and the desktop icons vanish. I cannot get the menus
or the desktop icons again. I am not sure whats going on. I would like
to send in any log files, but not sure which one. If someone knows
which log file(s) would be necessary to debug this, I can send that in.

3. When I set GDK_USE_XFT=1 (for anti-aliasing) the server quits on me
and reports:
/usr/bin/gnome-session: relocation-error:
/usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: FT_Get_First_Char

I am using the standard locale - "POSIX"

I shall post the log file for X as a followup to this email.

Thanks in advance for any insight/help.

-D