Re: gnome2 packages using scrollkeeper in postinst want to access the internet

<quote who="Joseph Carter">

> Not that this has sane defaults on a machine without any network
> connection whatsoever.  Apparently if you're too cheap/poor/paranoid to
> keep your box connected to the net, you don't deserve to use Gnome2 in
> Debian.  The consensus of this list is that scrollkeeper's behavior is
> broken and should be fixed upstream.  Jeff Waugh has indicated this isn't
> going to happen.

(It's a libxml2 issue, rather than a scrollkeeper issue.)

> I've concluded that the developers don't really have a grasp of how much
> this hurts those of us on modem connections.  That or they just don't care
> about the problem enough to be serious about finding some real solution to
> it NOW, before they force every single Debian user with a modem to put up
> with their inability or unwillingness to fix it.  I wish upon them the
> thousands of duplicate bug reports which will hopefully follow from this
> as angry users discover that it takes three hours of modem time to upgrade
> their machines, AFTER they have downloaded all of the packages!

Ah, you have such a knack for unproductive blather.

Debian needs to follow up on its XML catalog support. libxml2 does do the
correct thing, it just doesn't operate the way you'd hope because it doesn't
have a catalog and local stylesheets/dtds to work with. Red Hat has got this
right, Mandrake has got this right... (I'm not saying that Debian has got
this wrong, merely that it hasn't been dealt with yet.)

Rather than criticising the upstream developers, please do your research and
help to solve the issue for Debian users.

- Jeff

--
                              Perl - The Movie
                        Starring 'Weird' Al Yankovic