Re: Gnome2 status

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 06:52:29PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:

> For now we are waiting for orbit 2. Chris ?

I'm working on it, but I'm trying to hold off till the non-US crypto
issues get resolved, because, guess what?  ORBit2 uses ssl.  And I
don't think I should be forced to give up the package just because our
policy is lagging the law by over a year.  Not to mention any other US
residents who may be packaging gnome tools or apps.

The actual status is that I've got one support library (linc) built
and installed locally, and I'm about half-way done with the second
(libidl).  But if I were more motivated (i.e. if I had someplace to
upload the debs once they're built), I could probably finish in a day
or so.

I'm actually building with ssl disabled for now, so, worst case, I
could upload that version, but I don't think anyone will like that
option.  However, if you just can't wait any longer, then I'll stop
idling, and deliver the semi-crippled orbit2.

But I'd rather enlist your help in agitating to get our out-of-date
crypto restrictions removed.  My country has made major steps towards
rejoining the free world, and Debian needs to stop its unnecessary
discrimination.

Note that unless I cripple the library or we fix our policy, basically
_all_ of gnome2 will have to go on non-us!  I hope that nobody likes
either of those options.

cheers

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single